Thursday, January 2, 2014

An Elf on the Shelf Steal of a Deal!

Now, a little disclaimer before I go on to the rest of my post.  Within the last couple of years, I've become vaguely aware of this newer Christmas Tradition of the Elf on the Shelf.



The marketing-wary skeptic in me resists the adoption of a tradition that "The Man" has sold me.  Ideally, as a mom with a young family, I'd like to have traditions that come up organically and even accidentally.  On some level, the Elf on the Shelf tradition is the antithesis of this as something that has been packaged up and sold to me, pre-made.  Yet, as I sort of balk at this, I also know that I'd like to have my kids grow up with the magic of the idea of Santa Claus.  My parents never indulged in Santa, and while I never spilled the beans as a kid to my contemporaries, I always wished that at least for a little while I could have believed in Santa.  For this reason, if the Elf on the Shelf can add to that magic and in addition, give my kids a ubiquitous experience that they can share with their future friends, then I shall set aside my idealized views on how traditions "should" come about, and buy into this tradition.  (Though I think I may make up a new story about why the Elf is hanging around as opposed to being some kind of magical tattle-tale.)  

That said, while shopping a couple of days ago, I found a Steal of a Deal on the Elf on the Shelf!  Now, my son is only 18 months old. so buying this now and saving it for next year or the year after works perfectly for me.  Anyway, my local Target has a *lot* of Christmas merchandise on clearance.  Among the piles and piles of stuff, I found 3 Elf on the Shelf sets all marked down from $29.95 to $8.98, a deal that I couldn't resist: 






Even if you already have the boxed set, it could be a great present for someone next year or even a sort of thinking-outside-of-the-box present to an expectant mom for her baby shower who may want to do this activity with her kid.  Lots of luck to anyone who's interested!  Hope you find your own Steal of a Deal! 


No comments:

Post a Comment