Monday, January 20, 2014

Chili for Your Next Super Bowl!

Hi All!

With the Super Bowl coming up, I thought I'd share another staple at my house, my mother-in-law's chili recipe!  Growing up, I think there was maybe one time that I had chili, and it didn't really make much of an impression.  And then came one of my husband's family's cooking competitions.  My mother-in-law competed with her chili recipe and OMG was I in love!  Thankfully, she's a generous person, and promptly forked over the recipe.  Not only is this one of my husband's favorite dishes, he enjoys it as a re-heated dinner as well.  There aren't many dishes that he likes re-heated the second time around.  With this recipe, he feels like the chili improves with time.  Another reason I like this recipe is that it seems to freeze well.  This is noted on the recipe itself by my mother-in-law, though I personally haven't tried it frozen and re-heated.  However, I did make it months in advance of a friend having a baby, and she froze the chili and had it after the baby was born.  It seemed like she and her family enjoyed it.  I'm actually planning on making a batch and freezing it for after my little one arrives.  It's also a very easy recipe to double.  But enough about the recipe!  Here it is!


Lynn's Chili

Ingredients:  
1lb ground beef or chicken   (I prefer the 96/4 ground beef from Trader Joe's.)
1 cup chopped onion (if desired)
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp paprika powder
1/8 tsp cayenne red pepper powder
1 can (14.5 oz) stewed tomatoes - regular
1 can (15 oz) kidney beans - well drained & rinsed   

All my ingredients!  I prefer the 96/4 ground beef from Trader Joe's but they had run out, so I used 85/15 this time around.

1.  Rinse the beans several times.  Soak them in water as you prepare the rest of the recipe: 


 













2.  Brown meat:


3.  Add onions and saute until softened.  Drain any excess water or fat:



4.  Stir in all ingredients except beans.  (I like to mix all the spices together in a cup, and then add to the chili.) 

Spices in a cup!

Spices added in!

Stewed tomatoes added in!
















5.  Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes.
6.  Add beans and heat thoroughly.

7.  Forget to take a picture of the finished product because your kid is freaking out and make do with a photo after you and the hubby have a go at the pot:


I like to pair this dish with cornbread that I make from Trader Joe's cornbread mix.  And of course, honey for the cornbread.  =) 


And here's the recipe all together without it being broken up with photos:

Lynn's Chili

Ingredients:  
1lb ground beef or chicken   (I prefer the 96/4 ground beef from Trader Joe's.)
1 cup chopped onion (if desired)
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp paprika powder
1/8 tsp cayenne red pepper powder
1 can (14.5 oz) stewed tomatoes - regular
1 can (15 oz) kidney beans - well drained & rinsed 

Directions:

1.  Rinse the beans several times.  Soak them in water as you prepare the rest of the recipe.  
2.  Brown meat.  
3.  Add onions and saute until softened.  Drain any excess water or fat. 
4.  Stir in all ingredients except beans.
5.  Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes.
6.  Add beans and heat thoroughly. 
7.  Serve and enjoy!
  
Have a great Super Bowl Sunday, everyone!!!

2 comments:

  1. Bettina, I was looking forward to finding a Chili recipe someone can vouch for.. Definitely trying this for Super Bowl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete