Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Hidden Spaces: Storage for Your Rolls of Paper!

I started reading blogs last year as a sort-of substitute for actual books as my free time was cut very short by both being a new mom and going back to work full time.  As a result, I now follow a bunch of blogs when I need a quick little break.  Recently, my favorite blog, IHeart Organizing, did a post on the new gift wrapping station that the author, Jen, and her husband had created: 

Source




I mean, I love to organize, but this woman is crazy talented!  My favorite part of this set up was how she organized her wrapping paper.  I can't stand how my wrapping paper and drawer liner paper is shoved into a corner of a closet only to get crushed, crumpled, and whatnot.  Yet, I also knew that I didn't really have a place in my home for a gift wrapping station either.  So, I basically lusted after this station, but put it out of my mind...until I read another one of my favorite blogs, Sew Many Ways!   Karen, who authors that blog, has a million amazing organizing ideas.  While looking at her crafting/sewing room, two sets of photos jumped out at me:

Source



Source




























In the photos above, Karen has mounted curtain rods on three sides of her table and uses those rods to store different kinds of rolls of paper.  She also has drawers from an old project that she never used filled with tension rods that also store various kinds of paper:



sewing craft room ideas



Seeing this combination of storage solutions, gave me my own brainstorm:  tension rods between the legs of my desk!  Like I mentioned in my last post, I love to beg, borrow, and steal ideas! 

So here's what I started out with--my messy office desk that I'm in the process of organizing:



And here's a bunch of my drawer liner paper that I've been using for various projects stuck between my desk and my entertainment center all mushed up together:



And now for the lovely hidden space that will soon house all my ConTact paper:




To bring my master plan together, I hit up Target and found these lovely tension rods:



These were super easy to adjust to the length of my desk legs.  I appreciated that as I'm not the most hands-on person in the world.  I adjusted all the rods, put my rolls of paper on the, and put the rods between my desk legs: 






BOOM!  Drop the mic!  =D  

I love this storage solution for so many reasons:

  • My paper is now organized neatly with no chance of getting damaged.
  • I'm using space that I wouldn't have used otherwise.  It's like getting free square footage tacked onto my house!
  • The tension rods are easy enough to pop in and out of the desk legs for quick access for when inspiration hits.  
  • This corner of the desk is sort of out of the way, so my son doesn't really pay attention to these rods.  Much less temptation for him to run over there and tear all of the rods down!  
  • This was super simple to implement!
So there you have it!  A "hidden space" that many people probably have and can be put to good use!  




No comments:

Post a Comment